An Appeal

>> Sunday, August 24, 2008

Photo by WolfcatStock

Early tonight we joined thousand of Mindanaons as we lighted candles and said a special prayer for peace in Mindanao. Fear is the common feeling that most of us feel right now. Just last Friday, a lady OB-Gyn was abducted by some unidentified men. Fortunately, she was rescued and a suspect was killed during the operation. Today, a fighter plane hovered thrice and we all know where it was heading.

We're all the news - TV, broadsheet and even the Internet! It is our hope that the RP government and the MILF will find solution to the crisis being faced by Mindanao. Many lives are being sacrificed. GMA's 24 Oras reported the amount that the government has to shell-out to support a war like this. It is way too expensive and if you ask me, the huge amount can be more beneficial to all of us if it is used for school buildings, books, livelihood programs and others. I believe that if people are living lives which are better than what they have now, they won't be going up the mountains and fight. We would see them tending to their farms instead of training for warm or the young ones will have pencils on their hands instead of guns. An colleague's husband has been a frontliner since the war errupted and he shared that it was more difficult for them to fire and fight back because their *enemies* are so young that their long firearms are taller than them. The war will not end even if the government swipes every single MILF fighter in this war. We must remember that they are also people and that they have families. They have children. And these children will remember what happened to their parents and their parents' parents. And the cycle continues.

Have you seen the evacuees? They number to thousands these days! And they are not concentrated on one area as we all know that several attacks occurred in several places like Aleosan, Pikit, Lanao del Norte, Maguindanao and others. We even passed by some of them upon coming home from Davao City last weekend. One idle warehouse here in Cotabato City now houses relief items and vehicles with Red Cross markings.

Two nights ago, I was awakened by a call from my husband who was on a business trip. He was asking if we heard some explosions. I later learned that an officemate texted my mother and she then asked me (thru SMS) if we heard it. I was horrified at the thought that we might experience what other victims and refugees shared. I was not afraid for myself. I was afraid for my kid. She is just a kid! So I said a prayer and life went on. The following day, I was informed that a school was having a celebration and what *exploded* were actually fire crackers. An former officemate also told me that that same night, she was sending me an SMS with a warning that the rebels will attack the city soon. However, the message did not go through and I thank God because it would have make me more worried than I was.

For a friend, peace for her now is just an ideal and it is not anymore possible. On the other hand, I believe that it is going to take time - just like civilizations. We may not see the result of our efforts now, but let us not stop working towards the achievement of the elusive peace - for our children and the future generation.

So before you sleep tonight, please say a prayer for us, for the government and the MILF, for the soldiers and their families, for the young fighters, for the refugees, for the people who are responding to the needs of the refugees, for all who work and die for peace. You are lucky if you can sleep peacefully tonight, without fear of being trapped in the middle of war. Many families here now have their bags packed, just in case things get worse. So you are lucky if you don't have to worry about leaving the house because your life and family is in danger. But I pray that this will not make you indifferent about what happens in a far away place called Mindanao. I am not asking you something grand like coming and volunteering. All I am asking you now is for you to join us in PRAYING FOR PEACE IN MINDANAO. Please.

7 comments:

Yen August 24, 2008 at 9:10 PM  

Hi Zanne, I am praying for you and the rest of peeps in Mindanao! You take care!

Btw, I have something for you here:)
http://yennygirl.com/?p=2404

Hugs!

Myks August 25, 2008 at 6:37 AM  

Hi ate su... I hope this conflict ends soon... I hope you will stay safe... ingat lagi

Myks

alpha August 25, 2008 at 9:39 AM  

sana ok kayo dyan.. nakakatakot no?

John Doro August 26, 2008 at 2:51 AM  

From Indonesia, I and several of my friends who read your post also pray for you and peace in Mindanao...

Eve August 26, 2008 at 5:11 AM  

My prayers are with you too. May peace stays with Mindanaons

juliana August 26, 2008 at 7:25 AM  

Be safe there. Here's [raying for you and your family as well as peace in the area. Take care!

MarlyMS August 29, 2008 at 11:53 AM  

matapos na sana yang gulong yan. sobrang nadadamay ang mga inosente. prayer is the best weapon.

Post a Comment

Comments are very much welcome. But due to some spammers, I have to moderate them. Thank you!

Header Credits

Full of Life & Joyful Digital Kits by Jennifer Labre Designs | Pacifico Font